Wednesday, July 04, 2007

burn the muffin top!

I've been reading a lot of articles on men's health trying to figure out how do you loose 'muffin tops'. You know, the love handles or the beer gut. Whatever you want to call it.

You heard me right. I have a slight muffin top. My sister pokes it. Been going to the gym since the start of the year so I've been sorta sticking to my new year's resolution. But I don't want to call it that in case I jinx it. The reason why I want to get rid of it is because I've been doing abdominal workouts and I can see the top four pack forming, but the lower two are buried within the moat of prosperity. It'd be nice to see the fruits of my labour.

Every time I go to the gym, I just want to do weights and not cardio. Why don't I want to do cardio or am reluctant?

  1. Boring. I don't have a tv in front of me or a mp3 player. Doing cardio while watching time incrementally is sheer boredom.
  2. Running 30 minutes on a treadmill and burning a minute worth of calories doesn't appeal to me when I can spend 30 minutes on weights and see an immediate effective result.
  3. Doing an effective cardio workout takes time. I don't have a lot of time.
I don't mind swimming but weather's getting cold so I guess that rules it out. Well the plan is to go running during my off gym days with my house mate. At least there's someone for company and to keep me motivated. Apparently there's a park nearby with workout bars which is cool because I can incorporate strength and cardio workouts with those.

According to a lot of men's health articles on loosing weight, a lot of it has to do with diet. Apparently you need a well balanced diet and have about 5 meals smaller meals a day to increase your metabolic rate. The problem is I don't have time to prepare 5 well balanced meals a day. I'm a uni student living out of home. If I'm hungry and I need a quick fix, I pop in a couple of indo mee's. Also I love food too much to sacrifice it for the sake of my abs. I do enjoy eating very much.

Over the past months, I've cut down significantly on fast food. Haven't touched fast food in a while now. I've also cut out soft drinks when my dentist told me soft drinks dissolve your teeth (yikes!). Hmm, I suppose those two factors have helped. Perhaps I need to have a massive lunch instead of a massive dinner. But I love dinner so much!

::tear::

:'(

1 comments:

The Ruud said...

You could try snacks in between your meals. Fruits, frozen yoghurt, carrot sticks, low fat cheese sticks, even a health smoothie. It gets your metabolism working and your appetite gets a big blow as well. I had a lot of trouble with working on my diet also, especially cos everything in Malaysia is so unhealthy but if you cut your appetite down it gets a lot easier to bear with the cravings.

Project Playlist