Saturday, March 15, 2008

Goodbye Saturday

Don't you hate it when you've been working at least 50 hour weeks, getting an average of 6-6.5 hours sleep a day and then finding yourself waking up at 8.50am on a Saturday morning?

Well I do. Had to wake up early (after mum woke me) and watch the electrician fix a new telephone socket in our computer room. So yea, that's pretty interesting but I'm still pretty sleepy.

So I pretty much spent the next 3 hours or so watching the electrician drill holes, screw stuff and feed cable. The electrical side of things (wiring) was pretty easy and I could've done it myself, but I guess the hard part was actually the installation of it as it required a fair bit of drilling which I wouldn't be confident enough.

Once the new telephone socket was installed and tested, I then spent the next 1.5 bloody hours trying to configure the internet with our new ISP (TPG), ADSL 2+ connection.

What really bugs me is that all the ISPs in Australia do not have support for home networking setup with a router. They always assume you're the only user connecting to the internet, thus providing useless information, in my scenario.

I spent 1 hour on the telephone with a TPG operator, trying to figure out how to configure the modem to bridge mode. After many attempts, she finally gave up on me and suggested I call up the modem manufacturer for help. Ok, fine. When I called up, I got the machine saying that the telephone operating hours are 8am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Well whoopy-dee-doo. I work during those hours. So my last resort was to sift through the many folders in the driver cd, looking for some manual which I did find. A quick glance through it told me my problem was fixable with a single click.

The modem didn't need to be configured to get WAN IP Addresses!!! Far out, the operator didn't tell me that obviously! Soooo sooo frustrating when you know you could've saved a lot of time if I knew there was a manual somewhere, or the operator knew what they were talking about.

I can't say I really blame them because it's probably the company's fault for not providing them sufficient training.

Oh well, there goes my Saturday afternoon. I've got grease on my fingers now from changing the car tyre earlier.

FYI, I suspect someone deflated our car tyre. Grrrrr!

0 comments:

Project Playlist