Monday, October 22, 2007

Dumbledore pronounced gay

I've been a fan of the Harry Potter series since I was like 13 or 14, before the movies came out and spoilt it. Now another recent news has spoilt my enjoyment of the book: JK Rowling announcing that Dumbledore is a gay character.

What a load of bull. I can't believe JK Rowling is subtly instilling gay content into children's literature. Well that is how it started anyway, a children's literature.

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell welcomed the news about Dumbledore and said: "It's good that children's literature includes the reality of gay people, since we exist in every society.

"But I am disappointed that she did not make Dumbledore's sexuality explicit in the Harry Potter book. Making it obvious would have sent a much more powerful message of understanding and acceptance."


I'm not a gay hater or anything as they are still equally human beings which God created, but I disagree with the notion of accepting the practice of homosexuality. Does it mean that we have to accept the practice of rapists and murderers even though they exist in our society?

God made Adam and Eve, not Steve. The male and the female organ was intelligently made to fit together, thus procreation. I don't think crossing swords would cut it.

She said she regarded her novels as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority".


JK Rowling has definitely kept this quiet till the end to boost her book sales. If she was really sincere in her quest to urge her fans to "question authority", she would've revealed this a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure parents would not have allowed their children to read the book knowing this much sooner. A very disappointing end to the Harry Potter literature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is where the world is heading. gayism and other abnormal behaviors will pervade children's literature like it's normal. i'm surprised you never saw hehind Rowling's witchcraft and sorcery in her book...

red | hongyi said...

:S

That's very disturbing

Danny Ng said...

Hehe, of course I saw through Rowling's witchcraft and sorcery, and I have no problems with it as I view it as pure literature. I know many Christians are against it, screaming out that witchcraft and sorcery are tarnishing the minds of children.

The thing is, if that argument is to be supported, why stop there? How about banning cartoons which has magical depictions such as Power Rangers, Ultraman, Gummi Bears and the list goes on.

Children are constantly exposed to these materials and I don't see Christians screaming out at it. I think the book is great in a sense that it has encouraged many children to actually read.

Perhaps it is actually the Christians, the church, the body of Christ who have failed to make the good news, good. Is it a mystery that not many children are reading the bible instead and not turning to God for help and guidance?

Perhaps we are the ones to be blamed for not having enough positive influence in the world, and not JK Rowling's book in that matter.

Ying said...

Hey.. you raised a really good point. I totally agree with you.

Project Playlist