Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's Cooking Time!

I decided to cook something tonight and flicked through HungerHunger's blog and discovered Steamed Chicken With Chinese Ham n Mushrooms!

Now the only deviation I did from the recipe was that I used normal soy sauce because I couldn't find light soy sauce, and I used normal bacon because I had no clue where to find ham that's asian. Also I used chicken thigh only because I couldn't be stuffed cutting up a whole chicken. Besides, I was only cooking for two: myself and my sister.

Oh, I'm not sure whether the chicken was corn-fed though. Didn't get a chance to ask it. Anyways, I followed the recipe and mixed it all into a bowl. Refrigerated for an hour.


Now the mixture was smelling bloody good and I was kinda proud of myself. Everything was going good until I came to the cooking part. A huge stumbling block for me, but perhaps not for others.

The instructions said "Steam at high heat for 25 to 30 min. Serve hot with plain rice". Me being a guy, didn't really understand this in full detail because I need step-by-step instructions. I wondered to myself, "How on earth will I steam this without the sauce dripping away?". I didn't think this through thoroughly and so I proceeded with the assumption that you're meant to simmer it. Oh how wrong I was!

Now I think the correct way is to place it on a heat tolerant plate or pan, and place it into a pot of steaming water and steam it! Aha, why didn't I think of this earlier?!?

Another huge mistake was not doing it in a non-stick pot. If you see the picture above closely, you'll see that the bottom is burnt and the food is stuck as well. I must say the aroma still smelt nice though!

The end result?

I didn't bother decorating and positioning the food in a presentable way because I was about to devour it in a few minutes.

The verdict? Very niiiiceeee...



Ignore the head piece and don't ask why.

1 comments:

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Wow, potential son-in-law of TerrI * Giggle *

Project Playlist